Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Dear Sleep

Dear Sleep,

I miss you so hard.

We used to be so close, but it feels like years since we've had a good lie-down together.

It's me sweetheart, not you. You've always been there for me, you've always waited patiently while I avoided you with coffee and Red Bull. You've never judged, you've always welcomed me with open arms when I came home.

When we brought the baby home you didn't seem to understand what to do, but I can't blame you for that--a baby was new for all of us, we were all learning. And you've worked so hard to be there for my son. Some nights you and he cuddle together for hours and hours and it's oh so nice.

But we need to talk about last night, for example. Is there some reason you decided to slip away and let him wake up every half an hour for hours and hours? I wouldn't normally mind so much when you slip away because you always come right back, but where did you go last night? You didn't come to my bed until after 6am, after I'd been up most of the night with him!

Sigh.

I don't know what to do old friend. We both know this isn't sustainable for any of us.

I'm sorry for all the years I led you on, I truly am. I was young and stupid.

Please come back. Please come back to both of us. I promise to never take you for granted again. I miss you. I need you. I crave you. I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment